Thursday, April 23, 2015

10 Days, 8 Pounds

During the second week of April, we started reducing sugar from our family diet. We added more fresh veggies and fruits and reduced the wheat. After getting back in town from the parenting conference, we headed to the store for our serious shopping.  On the 13th, the kids and I started following the Whole9-type plan, eating fresh produce, grass-fed, organic meats, some nuts and seeds.  We did not eat dairy, sugar, or grains of any kind.  Two of the kids stuck to the strict plan for an entire week.  After that initial week, they added in some dairy and grains. This week, we celebrated one of the Brownies' birthdays, so that was their chance to have sugar again.  My child who has been struggling had a rough time eliminating everything all at once.  We decided that for her especially, we should eliminate one food-type at a time while reducing addictive food like sugar slowly.  I'll be interested to see how she does as we remove certain things.  She's completely ready to eliminate one thing at a time. She's also been working out and swimming every day, which we hope will improve her overall well-being.

As for me, I've been following basically the Whole30 plan at about 95%.  I am not eating grains at all. I put 2-3 tablespoons of CoffeeMate Natural Bliss in my coffee every morning, but have otherwise eliminated sugar and dairy.  Like last time I followed the Whole30 way of eating, I notice that my craving for food stops when I eat this way.  I don't think about food or what I'll eat.  I just go about my day, then suddenly realize I'm hungry.  I have not counted one calorie or fat gram.  I've lost 8 pounds in the past 10 days.   That pace will slow, but it's nice for now.

Another way I am not adhering strictly to the Whole30 is that I do have sex with my pants on. Before you gasp, that's the Whole30's way of describing Paleo copies of junk food.   Chocolate. I can't live without chocolate.  The darker, the better.  Here are some of my favorite discoveries.  All of these have no grains, no sugar, and no dairy, yet they are delicious!

http://www.goraw.com/
Cacao and coconut. Can't go wrong.
Thanks, go raw, for making
yummy treats!
http://www.larabar.com/products/renola-cocoa-coconut
Lovely find for when I'd like a sweet, crunchy snack.

As for meals, it's eggs for breakfast, along with either tomato or fruit, then turkey with fresh veggies and fruits for lunch.  For dinner, it's pork chops or steak or chicken, along with grilled squash or cabbage or sweet potato and a salad.  I like to add in some bacon or nuts to any one of these meals on occasion.  About 85% of the meat I'm buying is organic. The grass-fed beef is just too pricey for me to justify, so I buy organic, hormone-free, and nitrate-free meats and eggs.  75% of our produce is organic. What I buy organic depends on a system I'll explain in a later blog.

Turkey, avocado, strawberries!

Guacamole keeps me happy! H-E-B
guac on Costco's organic ground beef.

Can you tell I like avocados?

Over the next few weeks, I will begin adding some legumes, rice, and Greek yogurt.  Oh, and we made tasted a new discovery! We are using grass-fed Kerrygold butter.  Oh. My. Word! If you haven't, buy it! H-E-B now sells it for a decent price and it's worth every penny. I can feel how eating "good" fats like nuts, seeds, coconut, avocado, and even a little butter helps me not feel deprived. When I do eat those things, I don't end up overeating like I would if I were eating processed grains and sugars.

The kids and I had gotten in the bad habit of buying either soda or sweet tea a couple of times per week at least.  To replace the soda, we buy 100% juice and mix it with mineral water. Everyone likes it, even the boys!  Because the fruit juices are so high in sugar, we still limit these drinks to a couple of times per week.  We've figured out that water isn't really as bad as we thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment